22. Head sluices of Main Eastern Canal at Baroon from end of wing wall.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Crofton Collection: 'Public works including the Manora Breakwater and the River Son canal system' taken in 1873. Initiated by Colonel C.H. Dickens in 1853, the Son Canal System involved the construction of an anicut across the Son river at Dehri. A main western canal branched off above the anicut on the left bank and a main eastern canal branched off to the right. The project began in 1869 and was completed in 1875, costing 15 lakh rupees. The canal helped provide irrigation for a large area and was also open for navigation on the river.