'Chapel' in left end of verandah of Buddhist vihara, Cave XXI, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a side shrine in left end of the verandah of the Buddhist vihara, Cave XXI at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill around 1868-70, Archaeological Survey of Western India. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were first excavated in a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River during the 2nd and 1st centuries BC. Cave 21 belongs to a later series of excavation from the late 5th century. The verandah is ruined but the pilaster in this view shows the floral and animal decorations. The side shrine has two fluted pillars and the architrave has carved panels depicting the figure of a Naga king with attendants.