Portion of the monolithic temple of Kailas at Elora
Photographer: Scott, Allan Newton
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Kailasa Temple at Ellora from the album 'Views of Western India' that was most likely taken by Allan Newton Scott c.1857. The site of Ellora has a spectacular series of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain cave temples excavated into the rocky façade of a cliff of basalt. The works were carried out under the patronage of the Kalachuri, the Chalukya and the Rashtrakuta dynasties between the 6th and the 9th Centuries. The Kailasanatha is the most noted of all the splendours of Ellora, a free-standing temple rather than a cave, entirely sculpted out of a mass of basalt. This royal monument was patronized by rulers of the Rashtrakuta dynasty from the mid-8th century. The temple symbolizes Mount Kailasa, the abode of Shiva. It is decorated with sculptural friezes that depict tales from the Ramayana, the Mahabharata, and the life of Shiva. This view shows the sculptural detail on the south-western corner of the main temple exterior.