Periadynia [Peradeniya] govt. gardens near Kandy, the Palm Walk
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Palm Walk in the Royal Botanical Gardens in Peradeniya, near Kandy, Sri Lanka, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1870s. There are three palm walks in the gardens: The Royal Palm avenue, The Cabbage Palm avenue and the Palmyra avenue and there are over one hundred species of palm in the garden's collection. Established by the British in 1821, the Royal Botanical Gardens were originally the Pleasure Gardens of the Kandyan Kings. Bounded on three sides by the Mahaweli River the gardens also have a large collection of bamboos, an Orchid House containing three hundred species and a collection of medicinal plants. The garden also keeps endangered Coco de Mer trees and gives a home to hundreds of flying foxes.