Part of the Palace in the fort [Tiruchchirappalli]
Photographer: Tripe, Linnaeus
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of the palace of the Rock Fort at Tiruchirapalli, Tamilnadu, is part of a collection entitled 'Photographic Views in Trichinopoly ' (Madras, 1858) and was taken by Linnaeus Tripe in 1858. Tiruchirapalli, an important British cantonment in the 19th century, was governed in the earlier periods, successively by the Pandyas, Cholas, the Vijayanagara dynasty and the Nawab of Arcot. The town, situated on the banks of river Kaveri, is dominated by a massive granite rock rising steeply, more than 83 metres housing a Fort, hence called Rock Fort. Very little remains of the fortress but a small temple dedicated to god Ganesha has been built next to it.