Pavilions in the Harem Court [Anguri Bagh, Agra Fort].
Photographer: Impey, Eugene Clutterbuck
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from an album of 80 albumen prints taken by Eugene Clutterbuck Impey. The Agra fort was built during the reign of the Mughal Emperor Akbar (ruled 1556-1605). He had begun his rule from Delhi, but then decided to make Agra his capital. With this end, he built many fine structures in Agra and made it the grandest city of the empire, much praised by contemporary chroniclers and foreign travellers. The fort, the walls of which are faced with red sandstone, was built over a period of 14 years (1565-79), combining architectural beauty with military strength. It is semi-circular, with its base along the west bank of the Yamuna river. Within the fort are many impressive buildings, so arranged that those the public could access are near the city side (Delhi Gate) while the private apartments are along the wall overlooking the river. The Khas Mahal or 'Private Palace' dates from the 1630s, the period of Shah Jahan. On the east it overlooks the river and on the west the Anguri
Bagh, a simple formal four-plot garden with fountains and cascades. The white marble building was painted with floral patterns which are now faded. The two pavilions flanking it with curved cornices are of red sandstone plastered in white and possibly derived from Bengali prototypes. The roofs are tiled with gilded copper plates and hence called the Golden Pavilions.