Panduah. Carved lintels.
Photographer: Ravenshaw, John Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph taken in the 1860s by John Henry Ravenshaw, one of 45 prints in the album 'Gaur: Its Ruins and Inscriptions'. Pandua, near Gaur in the Malda district of Bengal, was a centre of provincial Islamic culture, reaching its apogee when it supplanted Gaur as capital of Bengal from 1342 till the beginning of the 15th century. Nur Qutub Alam was a 15th century Sufi saint (d.1415) in whose honour the famous Qutub Shahi mosque was erected in Pandua in 1582. The early 15th century dargah (mausoleum) complex of the saint, called the Choti Dargah, comprises a mosque, a tank or reservoir, tombs, a resthouse and various other structures. Ravenshaw wrote of this image, 'The interior of the residence of Nur Qutb Alam is in ruin, but contains several marble blocks, one of which, apparently the capital of a column, is six feet nine inches in diameter, and three feet six inches thick, weighing several tons. Broken pillars, cornices, and lintels, carved with great taste, are scattered about on all sides....'