Papanasini Tank and temples to the north, Bhubaneshwar
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Papanasini Tank and temples to the north, Bhubaneshwar, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by William Henry Cornish in 1892. This view shows the northern group of temples of Bhubaneshwar which are known as Lakshmaneshvara, Bharateshvara and Shatrughneshvara and were built in the 7th Century. They each incorporate a small sanctuary covered by a shikara, a tall curvilinear tower divided into horizontal bands. A large amalaka or ribbed disk, adorns the top of each tower and there are sculptures of Shiva on the outside of all three. The Rameshvara Temple from the 13th Century consists of a mandapa with a sloping roof detached from the towered sanctuary. The large stepped tank is situated at the rear of the temple.