Pillar with lion capital at Latiya, Ghazipur District
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the pillar with a lion capital at Latiya, Ghazipur District, taken by Joseph David Beglar in the 1870s. The top of the capital stands on the ground beside the pillar. In the Report of tours in that area of 1871-72 Alexander Cunningham wrote, "The village receives its name from a stone lat, or monolith, standing on the western end of a mound of brick ruins...The pillar is a single circular shaft of polished sandstone...On the top of the shaft there is a bell shaped capital, ...surmounted by an upper capital formed by eight lions facing outwards. The capital was once crowned by two half -length human figures back-to-back, resting on a circle of lotus leaves." The pillar is thirty feet in height.