Portion of the arcade in the Jami Masjid, Jaunpur.
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the two-storey arcade in the Jami Masjid, Jaunpur, Uttar Pradesh, from the Archaeological Survey of India, taken by Joseph Beglar in the 1870s. This mosque was founded by Sultan Mahmud (r.1440-1457) but was enlarged and completed by Sultan Husain Sharqi (r.1458-79) in 1478. It is the largest of the Jaunpur mosques with many features in common with the Atala Mosque of 1408 in the same city, such as the large pylon in the centre of the sanctuary facade with sloping sides. The Jami Masjid is raised on a high platform which is reached from three entrance gateways with steep flights of steps.