Part of the great brick temple at Seori-Narayana, Bilaspur District
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the brick temple at Seori-Narayana, taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1873-74. At Seori-Narayana the two largest temples face each other, one made of brick and the other of stone. The brick example is pictured here overgrown with vegetation. On the right of the photograph is the sanctum, which dates to antiquity, whilst on the left in the foreground is the mandapa, which is a relatively modern construction. The temple's sanctum is built to an unusual plan being circular with the corners cut off. The local people told Beglar that the statue in the temple was a depiction of Vishnu but he believes that it shows Aditya. The temple's decoration was never finished as many of the sculptures around the doorway are incomplete.