Pillars dug up from ruined temple, Turturia, Bilaspur District
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of three finely carved standing pillars at Turturia, taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1874-76. Turturia is located in the modern state of Chhattisgarh. Around the time that this photograph was taken Beglar described the contents of this picture: "there are several pillars and fragments of a small size; these small pillars are very curious; they are square below, the square portion being merely dressed without any ornament. Above this is an octagonal portion rounding off towards the top, and surmounted by an octagonal splayed capital; at the junction of this capital with the rounded part of the pillar, which is the thinnest part of the pillar, is a fillet; the capital is itself surmounted by a heading and an octagonal disc crowned by a second splayed capital, the whole being surmounted by a square abacus." The pillars' small size makes determining a function for them difficult; they could not have been used to hold a roof or door jambs. Beglar dates them to the eighth century at the latest.