Photograph of the ceiling of the Kandariya Mahadeva Temple at Khajuraho, taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871-72. Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandella dynasty which ruled in central India in the ninth century. Of the numerous temples that were erected at this site only about twenty-five have survived. They represent the culmination of the central Indian style of architecture and the sensuous sculptures that decorate them are among the masterpieces of Indian art. The Kandariya Mahadeva Temple was built during the reign of king Vidyadhara (1017-1029) of the Chandella dynasty and represents the climax of Indian medieval architecture. The temple is accessed through an ornate portal and is raised on a platform. It consists of a sanctuary with circumambulatory corridor preceded by a mandapa or hall. There five verandahs with vestibules that allow light onto the interior. The lower part of the tall spire is decorated with superb sculptures celebrated for their ritualised sexual postures. This view shows a detail of the delicate carvings of the corbelled ceiling.