Photographic copy of a paper impression of an inscription on a pillar in the Jain temple at Dubkund
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a paper impression of an inscription on a pillar in the Jain temple at Dubkund, taken by Joseph David Beglar in the 1870s. Dubkund is situated 76 miles to the south west of Gwailor. There is one principal temple at the site, attached to an enclosure and tank complex. In his 'Report of a Tour in Eastern Rajputana in 1882-83', A. Cunningham wrote, "The Jain temple of Dubkund is a square enclosure of 81 feet each way: on each side there are ten rooms...The pillars of the corridor are square, with turn-overs above and below, and four bracket capitals to receive the architraves...On one of the pillars there is a short inscription of three lines, which reads - 'Samvat 1152...'" The temple was in a poor state of preservation when Cunningham visited it, with not even a single statue remaining on its pedestal.