Photograph of a private house with an ornately carved facade at Lashkar in Madhya Pradesh, taken by Bourne and Shepherd in c. 1883. Lashkar is situated about two miles from Gwalior and was founded in 1810 by Daulat Rao Sindhia who set up his lashkar (camp) there, thus giving the town its name. Gwalior was the centre of a stone-carving industry for centuries and the building pictured ia a good example of that craft. The Imperial Gazeteer of India states, "The city is picturesquely situated in a horseshoe-shaped valley opening eastwards. Just below the fort are the palaces, standing in a walled enclosure, known as the Phul Bagh, or flower garden. The modern residence of the chief, the Jai Bilas palace, and the older Moti Mahal, now used for departmental offices, a museum and other buildings, are all situated within this enclosure...The city proper lies beyond the palaces. It is bisected by the main road, leading from the Gwalior railway station, and is divided into numerous quarters."