Pool and pavilions on the (?) Jag Niwas (Lake Palace), Udaipur
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jag Niwas (Lake Palace), Udaipur, taken by O.S Baudesson in 1882, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Udaipur was established as the new capital of Mewar state by Maharana Udai Singh (r.1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs, after the sack of Chittorgarh by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1567. The city of Udaipur is situated on the Lake Pichola, an artificial lake created in the 14th century. The Jag Niwas is a lake palace begun during the reign of Jagat Singh II (r.1734-51), with later additions. It comprises a series of pavilions with courtyards, gardens and fountains. It was once the summer residence of the rulers of Mewar but is now the Lake Palace Hotel.