Portion of Udayagiri Hill, showing steps carved in the rock
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a section of Udayagiri Hill, showing steps carved in the rock, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1893, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a group of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of the sandstone. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi dynasty of ancient Kalinga (now Orissa) in the 1st century BC. This wooded and secluded area was an ideal site for a monastic retreat. Udayagiri or 'Sun rise hill' constitutes the north-eastern mound.