Portion of a priest's abode, or Phoongye House (Bur. 'Keoung') at Rangoon
Photographer: Jackson, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a monastery or kyaung for Buddhist monks or pongyis in Rangoon (Yangon), taken by J. Jackson in c.1868, part of an album of 43 views of Burma (Myanmar) from the Sladen Collection. The building follows the traditional Burmese form of a raised rectangular pavilion or tazaung surrounded by a wide verandah, from which broad flights of masonry steps with naya or footed dragon balustrades descend. The monastery is built of teak and this close view shows the intricate and flamboyant woodcarving on the frontons and eaves decorating each layer of the tiered roof. The surface of the roof is covered in corrugated iron rather than tiles, a material which began to be used in Burmese religious architecture in the 19th century.