Pagodas and temples on the hill at Moulmein
Photographer: Jackson, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a temple on the hillside at Moulmein (Mawlamyaing), taken by J. Jackson in c.1868, part of an album of 43 views of Burma (Myanmar) from the Sladen Collection. It is possibly the Kyaik-Than-Lan Pagoda, the tallest and most conspicuous of Moulmein’s religious monuments, and one of five shrines and monasteries built on a ridge of hills running in a north-south direction in east Moulmein. The main pagoda is a tapering, conical stupa or zedi, reached via a flight of steps ascending the hillside. It is encircled by pavilions with tiered roofs, tall prayer posts or dagun-daing, and smaller stupa shrines. Moulmein lies at the mouth of the Salween (Thanlwin) River where it meets the Gulf of Mottama (Martaban), and the confluence of four smaller rivers on the coast of south-east Burma. During the 19th century it developed as a colonial town and seaport. It was the head-quarters of Amherst District and the administrative capital of British Burma between 1827 and 1852 and became a centre for the export of teak and rice. The town, the capital of the Mon state and the fourth largest in Burma, is set in beautiful natural scenery of tropical vegetation, low ranges of hills and limestone outcrops.