Principal street in Jeypore
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the main street at Jaipur in Rajasthan, taken by Bourne & Shepherd in the 1880s, from the Elgin Collection: 'Autumn Tour 1896'. Jaipur was founded in 1727 as an entirely new and prestigious state capital by Maharaja Jai Singh II (r.1699-1743) of the Kachwaha Rajputs. It was built on the site of a royal hunting lodge and garden on a plain ringed by hills five miles south of Amber, the previous state capital. Jaipur is today known as the ‘Pink City' due to the pink wash on the buildings in the old walled quarter of the city. It is unusual among Rajput cities as its wide streets are laid out on a regular grid plan based around nine squares. However, it retains the traditional arrangement of the central route being the main bazaar, the Sireh Deori, which leads from the western gate of the city walls past the city palace to the eastern city gate. This is a view from an intersection looking down the length of the Sireh Deori, with the Ishwar Lath (1749), a tower of victory in the form of a minaret, in the distance.