View from entrance gateway of the Principal District Locomotive Superintendent's Residence at the Railway Workshops, Jamalpur, which was completely wrecked by Earthquake on 12th June 1897, from the Elgin Collection: 'Presented to His Excellency the Earl of Elgin & Kincardine...as a Memento of His Excellency's Visit to the East Indian Railway Workshops at Jamalpur November 30th 1897'. The main workshops for the East India Railway Company were built in 1862 at Jamalpur, some 300 miles north-west of Calcutta. The workshops were designed to undertake every aspect of the overhaul and repair of the Company’s railway locomotives and from the 1880s new locomotives were also built here. By the 1880s the workshops employed 5,000 people and by 1906 the number was close to 10,000. The town of Jamalpur was the first of the major railway towns in India, built and administered by the East India Railway Company and populated entirely by railway employees. Workers were accommodated in housing appropriate to their grade in the township which was laid out with geometric precision around the works. There was also a church, a Roman Catholic chapel, a Hospital and Mechanics Institute with a library and swimming pool.