Pagoda, Eden Gardens, Calcutta.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Pagoda at Eden Gardens in Calcutta from the 'Bellew Collection: Architectural views in India' by an unknown photographer in the 1880s. Eden Gardens are situated at the northern end of the Calcutta Maidan (open green). They were laid out in 1834 and named after Emily and Fanny Eden, the sisters to Lord Auckland. Auckland was the Governor-General of India from 1836-1842. In 1840, Eden Gardens were formally opened to the public and for many years they were a fashionable evening meeting-place in Calcutta. The gardens are also home to the Calcutta Cricket Club. The Pagoda, seen in this view, was brought from Prome in Burma by Lord Dalhousie and erected in the gardens in 1854.