Palace with the Tripolia Gate, Udaipur
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the City Palace from the 'Reading Collection: Views of Udaipur taken by an unknown photographer c.1910. The photograph is part of an album containing architectural and topographical views of sites in Rajasthan, mainly of Udaipur, originally in the collection of Rufus Daniel Isaacs, Lord Reading, who served as Viceroy of India (1921-1926).
Udaipur was chosen by Maharana Udai Singh (r. 1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs as the new capital of the Mewar State in the mid-16th century. The magnificent City Palace (c.1570 onwards) is the main royal residence in Udaipur. It is a colossal fortified 'garh' palace composed of a series of buildings faced in white plaster. Steep windowless walls rise to meet tiers of delicate balconies, turrets and domed kiosks at the upper levels. This is a general view of the Tripolia Gate (c. 1725), a triple-arched ceremonial gateway, from inside the palace courtyard. A number of elephants are tethered near the low wall in the left foreground across which elephants fights were staged as entertainment.