Palace from the lake, Udaipur 10127
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of City Palace from the 'Reading Collection: Views of Udaipur taken by an unknown photographer c.1910. The photograph is part of an album containing architectural and topographical views of sites in Rajasthan, mainly of Udaipur, originally in the collection of Rufus Daniel Isaacs, Lord Reading, who served as Viceroy of India (1921-1926).
Udaipur was chosen by Maharana Udai Singh (r. 1567-1572) of the Sisodia Rajputs as the new capital of the Mewar State in the mid-16th century and he built the City Palace (c.1570 onwards) as the main royal residence. Located on the east bank of Lake Pichola, this view shows the fortified palace with its battlements and steep windowless exterior walls rise which meet tiers of delicate balconies, towers and domed kiosks at the upper levels.