Palace on the hill adjoining the Bund of the Jaisamand lake [Dhebar Lake]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the hilltop palace from the 'Reading Collection: Views of Udaipur taken by an unknown photographer c.1910. The photograph is part of an album containing architectural and topographical views of sites in Rajasthan, mainly of Udaipur, originally in the collection of Rufus Daniel Isaacs, Lord Reading, who served as Viceroy of India (1921-1926).
This view shows the dam at Jaisamand Lake and the hilltop palaces. Jaisamand Lake, also known as Dhebar Lake, lies about 52 km south-east of Udaipur and is the second-largest artificial lake in Asia. Completed in 1691, the lake was built by Maharana Jai Singh (r. 1680-1698) to provide water for agricultural irrigation. The huge masonry bund or dam measures 330 x 35 m. Six white marble chhatris or domed pavilions ornament the dam along its length and a quadrangular Shiva temple stands in the centre of the embankment. There are two palaces at Jaisamand Lake, the Hawa Mahal (Palace of the Breeze), and the Rang Kunwar, a pleasure palace. They were used as the summer retreats of the Queens of Udaipur.