Poodoocottah [Pudukkottai]. Another view of a portion of Palace
Photographer: Lyon, Edmund David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Palace in Pudukkottai, Tamil Nadu, from the 'Photographs to Illustrate the Ancient Architecture of Southern India' collection, taken by Edmund David Lyon in c. 1868. Puddukkottai is situated about 58 km from Thanjavur and was ruled by the Tondaiman family. Construction on the palace began in the 17th century and it was added to periodically up until the 19th century. It was meticulously arranged around a series of courtyards and the predominant building material was brick. The buildings were elaborately embellished with plasterwork decoration and pillars with scrolled capitals, as can be seen in this view. The palace was at one point very large, yet now little remains. It was abandoned by the ruling family for more modern abodes in 1927 and the majority of the buildings were demolished in 1996.