Peroor Temple, near Coimbatore. Carving on the roof of the temple
Photographer: Lyon, Edmund David
Medium: Photographic print
Print from an album of 44 albumen prints by Edmund David Lyon. Perur, near the Noyyal river, is 7 kms from Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu. It is famed for its Pattiswaraswami temple dedicated to Shiva. The temple is believed to date from the
Chola period in the reign of Karikala Chola (2nd century AD), but most of it was completed in later centuries. It is one of the Tandavasthalas or Dancehalls of Shiva and has a gold-plated statue of Shiva as Nataraja, the Lord of the Dance. This photograph offers a close view of carved work on ceiling lintel and supporting column brackets about which Lyon wrote in his 'Notes to Accompany a Series of Photographs Prepared to Illustrate the Ancient Architecture of Southern India'
(Marion & Co., London, 1870), edited by James Fergusson: 'The...carvings on the upper part of the pillars, with that of the stone slabs forming the roof, is well worthy of inspection, as also the two chains on the upper right hand corner. Each of these has been carved out of a solid block of stone, and so beautifully executed that each link is separate and detached the one from the other, and can be moved about exactly like an ordinary iron chain, and yet no join can be found in any part of it'.