Portion of carvings on the Gopuram, Tanjore. The figure in a hat is considered to be a prophetic representation of an Englishman & called "John Bright"
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of details of the carvings of the Brihadishvara Temple at Tanjore, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s and part of the Earl of Jersey Collection: 'India. Bombay to Madras'. The temple, built by the Chola king Rajaraja around 1010, is a monumental temple standing in the middle of a large courtyard surrounded by smaller shrines. To the east, a monolithic Nandi is sheltered in a 16th century pavilion. On the north-west of the main shrine, there is a temple dedicated to Subrahmanya dating to the 17th century. The temple is entered through the east by two gateways. The tall pyramidal tower over the sanctuary reaches 70 metres and consists of diminishing storeys culminating in the octagonal domed roof and the golden pot finial. It is covered with miniature edifices and figure sculptures that symbolise the cosmic manifestation. This photograph shows the north wall of the sanctuary. Two figures of dvarapalas, guard the north entrance to the sanctuary. A ghana, a dwarf follower of Shiva, supports the spout cut into the wall of the shrine, through which the liquid offerings flow.