Palace of the Maharajah Chat Singh, Ramnagar, Benares.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Palace of Maharaja Chat Singh in Benares from the 'Earl of Jersey Collection' was taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s. Ramnagar is situated on the right bank of the Ganges River and was made the capital of the former princely state of Benares (Varanasi) by Raja Balwant Singh in 1750. A series of courtyards lead to the white towers of the main palace within the fort, with the private appartments on one side of the tower and the Durbar Hall and reception rooms on the other. The palace is visible in the right background.