Part of the Kali Temple from the entrance to the Hira Gate, Dabhoi
Photographer: Burgess, James
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Kalika Mata Temple from the entrance of the Hira Gate at Dabhoi in Gujarat, taken by James Burgess in 1874. Dabhoi is an ancient town that was fortified by the Solanki Rajputs from the 12th century. The fort was built in the 13th century by the Vaghela king of Patan, or Anhilvada, following the shastric traditions described in the Vastu scriptures. There are four gates in each cardinal direction. The Kali Temple was built in 1255 next to the east gate, the Hira Gate, the most exquisitely carved. The brackets are carved with musicians, warriors, dancers and mythical beasts. The mandapa or hall of the temple has projecting balconies and the shrine houses a figure of the goddess on a marble altar. The outer walls are covered by sculptures of various Hindu divinities.