Pillar in front of chapel at right of verandah of Buddhist Chaitya Hall, Cave XIX, Ajanta
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a pillar in front of the chapel at the right of the verandah of the Buddhist Chaitya Hall, Cave XIX at Ajanta, taken by Henry Cousens around 1880, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Cave 19 is an elaborate rock-cut chaitya hall from the late 5th century. The external facade has a large horseshoe-arched window flanked by figures of yakshas and Buddhas carved in relief. The interior hall has two rows of columns whose capitals are decorated with Buddha figures, flying couples, hermits and musicians. The pillar in this view is covered with foliation, scrollwork and jewelled bands.