Perspective view from the south-west, Jambukesvaraswami Temple [Jambukeshvara Temple], Tiruvanaikoil [Srirangam], Trichinopoly District
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jambukeshvara Temple at Srirangam from the south west, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Madras 1896-98. The holy island of Srirangam is situated in the Cauvery river, there are two large temple complexes, a Vaishnava dedicated to Ranganatha and the Shaivite Jambukeshvara temple. This sacred complex dates mostly from the 17th century Nayaka period. The innermost sanctuary stands in the centre of five concentric enclosures entered through seven pyramidal gateways or gopuras. These brick and plaster towers consist of diminishing storeys covered with elaborate sculptures painted in bright colours. The west gopura leads into a columned mandapa and a tank is situated to the right. To the north is the thousand pillared hall with carved pillars. The main sanctuary contains one of the five elemental lingas representing Shiva as the manifestation of water.