Perspective view from the south-west, including raths, etc., Jambukesvaraswami Temple [Jambukeshvara Temple], Tiruvanaikoil [Srirangam], Trichinopoly District
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jambukeshvara Temple at Srirangam from the south-west,
from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Madras 1896-98. The holy island of Srirangam is situated in the Cauvery river, there are two large temple complexes, a Vaishnava dedicated to Ranganatha and the Shaivite Jambukeshvara temple. This sacred complex dates mostly from the 17th century Nayaka period. The innermost sanctuary stands in the centre of five concentric enclosures entered through seven pyramidal gateways or gopuras. The west gopura leads into a columned mandapa and a tank is situated to the right. To the north is the thousand pillared hall with carved pillars. This view shows one of the gopuras and the pocessional chariots for the stautues of the divinities called rathas.