Palace view, Odeypur
Photographer: Dayal, Deen (1844-1905)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the City Palace and the Mohan Mandir at Udaipur in Rajasthan, taken by Raja Deen Dayal & Sons in the 1880s, from the Curzon Collection: 'Views of places proposed to be visited by Their Excellencies Lord & Lady Curzon during Autumn Tour 1902'. Lord Curzon served as Viceroy of India between 1899 and 1905. Udaipur was chosen by Maharana Udai Singh (r.1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs as the new capital of the Mewar state in the mid-16th century. This followed the third and final sacking of the hilltop fortress of Chittorgarh, the previous Mewar capital, by the Mughal Emperor Akbar. This view shows the colossal palace built on the east bank of Lake Pichola. The palace was begun by Udai Singh, and dates mainly from the 17th century although its construction continued into the 18th century. It consists of a series of buildings faced in white plaster with steep, fortified windowless walls rising to meet tiers of delicate balconies, towers and domed kiosks at the upper levels.