Palace of Baz Bahadur from the East, [Mandu]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Palace of Baz Bahadur at Mandu, Madhya Pradesh, taken by an unknown photographer in c.1902. This is a view of the palace from the east and shows the ruined façade rising out of the undergrowth. It has an arcade of arched openings and a projecting tower in an Islamic style. The ancient stronghold of Mandu first came to prominence under the Paramara dynasty, powerful rulers of the region of Malwa in central India with their headquarters in Dhar, at the end of the 10th century. Malwa passed to Muslim rule first under the Delhi Sultans in 1305 and later as the Sultanate of Malwa independent of Delhi from 1401. Mandu was made the capital of the Sultans of Malwa between 1405 and 1531. They renamed the city ‘Shadiabad’ (City of Joy) and built palaces, mosques and tombs amid the gardens, lakes and woodland within its walls. Most of the remaining buildings date from this period and were originally decorated with glazed tiles and inlaid coloured stone. They constitute an important provincial style of Islamic architecture characterised by an elegant and powerful simplicity which is believed to have influenced later Mughal architecture at Agra and Delhi.The Malwa Sultans were defeated by the Gujarat Sultans who annexed the province in 1531. Mandu was later taken by Daulat Khan, who ruled as Sultan Baz Bahadur from 1555 to 1566, when he was deposed by the Mughal Emperor Akbar. The palace is contained in his royal enclosure in southern Mandu. It was built in c.1509 before he came to power and stands on a hill above the Rewa Kund, a sacred tank (reservoir) whose waters once supplied the palace.