Photograph taken about 1900 by the Government photographer, Zacharias D'Cruz of a general view of the Puthen Canal, part of the 'Album of South Indian Views' of the Curzon Collection. Major improvement on the irrigation works had been completed in Travancore in 1885 and the Maharaja personally inaugurated these. One of these was the Puthen Dam which after years of decay and neglect had the effect of washing out a great proportion of the hearting, and the dam was consequently leaking very badly, thus annually throwing off a good deal of precious water. Its efficiency had now been thoroughly restored by building a strong and water-tight face wall, and by filling in the holes in the interior of the dam. The Puthen dam built about 1750, was 270 feet long and founded on solid rock at a depth of from 6 to 30 feet below the crest. It raised the water of the Paralayar to a height of more than 20 feet from the bed of the river. A channel had also been constructed in connection with the dam called the Padmanabhapuram Puthenaur.