Part of street at Hampi, Vijayanagara
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a street in Hampi, Vijayanagara, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections taken c.1880. Hampi is a small village in the Bellary District of Karnataka. It is situated on the southern bank of the Tungabhadra river, surrounded by granite hills and outcrops. Traditions and local legends associate the place with the Ramayana epic which narrates the stories of the life of Rama. The village was once the capital of the most powerful Hindu kingdom in Southern India, Vijayanagara, the City of Victory. The empire was founded in 1336 and reached its height during the reign of Krishnadevaraya (r.1509-29). In 1565, after the battle of Talikota, the town was sacked by the armies of the four allied Muslim sultans of Bijapur, Ahmednagar, Golconda and Bidar, and left abandoned. The ruins of this vast royal city, spreading over 25 square kilometres, consist of both sacred and secular buildings.