Porch on the south side of the corridor of the Mosque at Sarkhej, near Ahmadabad
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the mosque beside the Great Tank at Sarkhej near Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, for Archaeological Survey of India. During the reign of Muhammad Shah (r.1442-51) a mosque and a mausoleum were built in Sarkhej in memory of Shaikh Ahmed Khattri (d.1446), who was referred to as Ganj-Bakhsh. Later the place became a retreat for Gujarat rulers, as well as an imperial necropolis. Palaces, gardens, pavilions and gateways were built around an artificial lake that is fed by a channel to the west of the mosque. The courtyard of the mosque is surrounded by a corridor, partly roofed by small domes. This is a view of the two storey porch of the mosque projecting over the water of the tank. Doors from the corridors, on the east and west of the mosque conceal stairs descending to the lower storey; on the exterior of this storey steps lead down to the water, under the level of the overhanging porch. Along the south side of the mosque are windows overlooking the tank with stone trellis work.