Porch and entrance to the court of the Jami Masjid, Ahmadabad
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the south entrance of the Jami Masjid at Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken, by order of Major Cole, by an Army sergeant in c. 1881, for the Archaeological Survey of India. The Jami Masjid at Ahmadabad was built by Sultan Ahmad Shah (r.1411-42) and completed in 1424. The courtyard of this imposing structure is entered from the north side. The prayer hall is supported by 260 columns that divide the interior into 15 bays, each covered in a dome. The central domed area is raised to three storeys, the side aisles have two storeys, and the wings are one storey high with open fronts. The large courtyard is surrounded by an arcaded cloister. This is a view of the south entrance porch to the courtyard of the mosque. The roof of the porch is supported by two rows of pillars, some of which were taken from Hindu or Jain temples. Steps lead up from street level from either side, while the third side, running parallel with the wall, has a low screen-wall, typical of Gujarati Hindu architecture. The roof of the portico has a balustrade above and eaves that projects over the capitals of the pillars.