Portion of the façade of the Jami Masjid, Bharuch 1835
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid at Bharuch in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. Bharuch, or Broach, is one of the oldest ports in western India; it was an important trading centre from the 1st century. This mosque was built in the early 14th century and although largely composed from temple materials, it was planned according to the conventional mosque design, comprising a courtyard with gateways and a sanctuary at its western end. The main sanctuary of the mosque is an open pillared verandah with no facade of arches. The interior is divided by forty eight pillars, each with elaborately carved brackets, into three compartments based on temple mandapas. There are three main domes and ten smaller ones. The three mihrabs on the western wall are copies of niches from temple architecture, but with pointed Islamic arches. This image is taken of a section of the facade from the south-east.