Panoramic view of the town from the top of the Jami Masjid, Khambhat (Cambay). Section 1, looking north-north-west
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Cambay in Gujarat, from the top of the Jami Masjid, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. Khambhat, or Cambay, was once an important port that served the city of Ahmadabad, 84 km (52 miles) to the north. The city was captured by 'Ala u'd-din Khalji in 1304 and the mosque was built shortly after in 1325. This panoramic view is taken from the south end of the mosque, with the façade of the Jami Masjid on the left. Near the mosque is a square tomb, built of marble, where 'Umar b.Ahmad Gazruni (d.1333) is buried. The mosque sanctuary has one hundred pillars supporting the roof with an open courtyard in front, surrounded by corridors. The jambs of the central part of the facade are nearly forty feet high, and crowned with pointed finials. This tall central section together with the raised side sections conceal the domes of the roof of the sanctuary from view.