Portrait of the Rev. P. Rajahgopaul of the Free Church of Scotland Mission, Madras.
Photographer: Madras School of Industrial Arts
Medium: Photographic print
Full-length seated studio portrait of the Reverend Rev. P. Rajahgopaul of the Free Church of Scotland Mission, Madras, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This photograph was taken in the 1860s and is attributed to the Madras School of Industrial Arts, established in 1850. The School became known as the School of Arts and Crafts, initially as a training centre for crafts. Later the fine arts were also taught after Debiprasan Roy Choudhury took over as the first Indian principal in 1929. The Reverend P. Rajahgopaul was Presbyter to the Indian population from 1858. His forename has been given as G. in the caption, but is given as P. in almanacs.