Ramji Darwaza [or South Entrance] of the Bharatpur Fort
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Ramji Darwaza or south entrance to the fort at Bharatpur in Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The fort was built by the Jat Raja Suraj Mal (r.1733-63) on the site of a smaller mud fort when he
captured Bharatpur from a rival Jat chief in 1733 and the state capital was transferred to Bharatpur from Dig. Known as the Lohagarh or Iron Fort, it proved to be an almost impregnable citadel. It is sited at the north-west corner of the walled city and was built with massive double ramparts reinforced by bastions, surrounded by a wide, deep moat. This view of the south entrance shows a bridge over the moat leading to a grand portal set between imposing bastions. Paintings of war elephants can be faintly seen on the stone façade either side of the central pointed arch.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.