Ruins in the citadel of Bijapur
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of ruins in the citadel of Bijapur from the album 'Views of Western India' taken by an unknown photographer c.1857. Bijapur was one of the most powerful Deccani kingdoms in the 16th and 17th centuries alongside Golconda and Ahmadnagar. At this time the city was ruled by the Adil Shahi dynasty. Under their patronage, numerous mosques, tombs and palaces were built. The most prominant and celebrated of these is the Gol Gumbaz. The central dome of this mausoleum is the second largest in the world after St Peter's in Rome. Bijapur was protected by a ten metre high sloping wall that included ninety-six bastions and five major gates. In 1686, the dynasty was overthown by the Mughal ruler Aurangzeb. This photograph shows the ruins of an unidentified structure in the city. The structure has strong, thick walls that are punctuated by substantial archways.