Rear view of Viswanath Temple, Khajraho
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the rear of the Vishanatha Temple, at Khajuraho, taken by Deen Dayal in 1882. Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandela dynasty which ruled in central India in the 9th century. Of the numerous temples that were erected at this site only about twenty five have survived. They represent the culmination of the central Indian style of architecture and the sensuous sculptures that decorate them are among the masterpieces of Indian art. The Vishvanatha Temple was built by king Dhangadeva of the Chandela dynasty in 1002 as indicated by an inscribed slab found in the temple. The temple is raised on a terrace decorated with friezes and consists of a sanctuary (garbha griha) surrounded by a passageway, a dance or meeting hall (mandapa), a vestibule (ardha-mandapa) and smaller projecting porches. The mandapa and the vestibule have pyramidal roofs while the sanctuary is covered by a curvilinear spire with projections and miniature temple towers. The outer walls are adorned by three rows of sculptures depicting amorous scenes.