Raj Ghat [Benares].
Photographer: Bromochary, Brajo Gopal
Medium: Photographic print
View of the ghat from the river, with the end of the Bridge of Boats at the left and a local boat moored in the foreground from 'Views of Benares, from the River Side' taken by Brajo Gopal Bromochary in 1869. The descriptive text accompanying this image states, "Here a pontoon bridge crosses the Ganges in the dry season, but not during the rains; and along it an immense amount of traffic of all kinds passes to and from the Railway Station on the other side. In front of the Ghat but, at a considerable distance from it there is a small tongue of high land, about fifty feet above the plain below, extending to the junction of the Ganges and the Barna, which, in the Mutiny, was strongly fortified, and has been styled, ever since, the 'Raj Ghat Fort'."
Excavations have revealed this high plateau called the Rajghat Plateau was bordered by the Ganges on its east and the river Varana and was the site of the oldest part of Varanasi going back nearly two thousand years.