Relief sculpture of a female figure in the Jaya-Vijaya Gumpha, Udayagiri
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a relief sculpture of a female figure in the Jaya-Vijaya Gumpha, Udayagiri, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a group of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of the sandstone. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi dynasty of ancient Kalinga (now Orissa) in the 1st century BC. The Jaya-Vijaya Gumpha consists of a lower storey of one cell with an arched ceiling, and an upper storey which has two cells with a flat roof. The two pilasters at the end of the verandah have two guardian figures; a male figure on the left and a female figure on the right. The female figure is sparsely draped and she holds a parrot perched on her right hand.