Right wing of upper verandah of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the right wing of upper verandah of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of the sandstone. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. The Rani Gumpha or the Queen's Cave is the largest and most richly carved of the Udayagiri caves. It has a double storey, excavated on three sides of a quadrangle, with a spacious courtyard. Both the lower and upper storey of the right wing have one large room with three entrances and a pillared verandah. The arches above the doorways are carved with relief motifs such as the honeysuckle, lotus or creeper issuing from the mouth of animals. Against the terminal piers of the verandah there are two guardian figures carved in high relief.