Ruins of a large stone temple at Ranipur Jharia
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a stone temple at Ranipur Jharial, taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1874-76. Situated on a rocky hill, the site was an important centre in the 9th-13th centuries. Originally there were one hundred and twenty temples at Ranipur Jharial however there are only fifty still standing today. Most are small and have no sculptural ornamentation. The large quantity of religious architecture can be explained by an inscription written on one of the larger temples which claims that the site was a tirath, an important centre of pilgrimage. The temples are divided into four main groups arranged around a central, oval shaped tank. The members of each group were built at the same time to a similar design and from similar materials. This is a slightly distant view of one of temple which is quite plain in ornamentation and is now in a ruined condition.