Rock-cut sculptures of Jain tirthankaras, Gwalior
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of rock-cut sculptures of Jain tirthankaras in Gwalior, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Bourne and Shepherd in c.1883. Large sculptures of Jain Tirthankharas, or saviours, dating between the 7th and the 15th centuries, are cut into the rocks along the steep sides of the road leading up to the Urwahi Gate of Gwalior Fort, on the western side of the plateau. This view shows part of the group of 22 standing Tirthankaras set in deep recesses, dating from 1400 to 1453.